Adding additional references without losing the former results

Uploading, editing, deduping and exporting references
distilleruser

Adding additional references without losing the former results

Postby distilleruser » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:11 am

In the current literature research it was found that an additional database still had to be included. However, up till now all 982 references have been reviewed and it would be a waste to do all of this again or to create an entirely new page for it (including all the forms).

Is it possible to add a new database (Endnote file including attachments) to this current literature review without losing the reviewed data and current database so far? Or do you suggest a different solution?

evidencepartners
Site Admin

Re: Adding additional references without losing the former results

Postby evidencepartners » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:20 am

You can certainly upload more than 1 database or set of references into the same project. The only issue you may have is with the numbering of the references. Each reference in Distiller must have a unique id. We (by default) take the Endnote ID to use as our Reference id as this is a unique id in each separate Endnote library. The catch here is if you are using multiple libraries, we do not control the ID's, so it is possible that you could have identical IDs across your Endnote libraries (this does not de-note a duplicate reference, just that the ids for references can be the same).

To avoid any troubles uploading this second file, you have the ability to re-number the references as you upload them. Step 2 of the upload process allows you to ignore the id coming from the file and start from a number of your choosing. Simply choose a number that is greater that the highest id in your project and you should be fine. Your references will be uploaded to level 1 where you can start screening them.

jbryso01

Postby jbryso01 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:28 pm

Hi there,
I tried to add an additional 45 references to a project as a batch this week. The upload was successful--I can see the 45 in the "unreviewed" column on the reference status report, and they are all visible in the "edit references" section with proper refids starting at a number greater than the previous highest refid in the project--but they're not showing up for me to review off the home page/within my first screening level. On the dashboard it says "0 unreviewed" and if I click I just get the message that I've reached the end of the references in that level. It would be very time consuming to add all 45 references individually so I'm hoping to get some direction on how to proceed.
Thanks!
Julia

Henry_Ebron

Postby Henry_Ebron » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:53 am

Hi Julia,

It is likely that you have a partition setup in the Level or Form settings that don't include these new references that you just added. There are 2 ways that you can correct this. In your level or form settings, in the User assignment and Partitioning section, you can either append to the partition that you have assigned yourself to include the refids of these new references or you can just remove the entire partition and then that will allow you to view all references available for review.

If you access our online user guide (? icon) and go to the Project Workflow -- Assigning users to Levels or Forms section, you will get additional setup information.

Cheers,

Evidence Partners support

Return to “Reference Management”